Sunday, September 9, 2012

Review: My Life Next Door



My Life Next Door by Huntley Fizpatrick
Publication Date: June 14, 2012
Published by Dial Books for Young Readers
Hardcover: 395 pages

Synopsis from Goodreads:
The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not.  Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate.  And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she were one of them...until one summer evening when Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything.  As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own.  Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision.  Which perfect family will save her?  Or is it time she saved herself?

A dreamy summer read, full of characters who will stay with you long after the story is over.

Mini-summary:  My Life Next Door is a stunning contemporary YA novel which surprised me.  It's well written, poignant and heartbreaking.

Why I read this book:  This one was almost entirely due to the gorgeous cover.  I mean, look at it?  I'd never heard of the author, but I loved her first name - Huntley - and decided to give it a try.

Review
Never underestimate the power of an enticing book cover.  While perusing the shelves at my local library, I came across My Life Next Door and immediately thought it was a book for me.  The cover is gorgeous and the writing just as lovely.  This book is why I read YA.  Finding treasures like My Life Next Door makes all of the so-so reads worthwhile.

Samantha "Sam" Reed is the daughter of Senator Grace Reed, a woman who gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "a place for everything and everything in its place."  Sam has been afforded a privileged life - complete with trust funds and private schools - but that doesn't stop her from working two jobs in the summer before her senior year of high school.  While certainly sheltered, Sam is also sensible and doesn't mind a little hard work.  Given her upbringing, Sam's work ethic is refreshing.

Due to her mother's position as a Senator, everything and everyone in the Reed household is held at a level of perfection impossible to maintain - never stepping out of line, having the perfect GPA and NOT associating with people like the Garrett's who live next door.  Sam has made a hobby over the years of watching the Garretts - a family with both parents (which Sam doesn't have) and eight children (compared to the Reed's two with Sam and her older sister Tracey) - and longing for the wonderful chaos and affection in their world.  I say world, because they really are from two different worlds according to Senator Reed, who always has a snide comment about the unkept yard, noise at all hours, and generally reproachful attitude towards anyone dreaming of having so many children.

All that changes when one of the Garrett boys, Jase, climbs onto Sam's balcony and the two soon become much more than friends.  Their relationship is at first innocent and also dangerous - as Sam keeps her whereabouts and Jase a secret to everyone around her - and full of touching moments as they fall fiercely in love.  Even more touching, is that Sam is welcomed with open arms into Jase's sprawling family.  And George!  Jase's younger, inquisitive brother George is wonderful.  I want George to be the little brother I never had. I want to wake up everyday and learn new (and often bizarre) facts about the world.

There are some adult situations as Sam and Jase begin exploring their relationship and each other.  At this, Huntley Fitzpatrick is an expert.  The hot and heavy scenes are light on the graphic stuff and heavy on emotion and very much set in reality.  It's not a magical unicorns and rainbows, they are awkward and clumsy, but it's perfect.  And while Sam and Jase do fall in love quickly, it's believable and I'm right there with them, rooting for them to make it.  Jase is actually a GOOD person.  Not a bad boy or a jock, Jase helps his family out by watching the kids whenever it's needed, working at his dad's hardware store and just genuinely being the good guy.  It's nice to see one of the good guys getting a chance for a change.

There are definitely some ups and major downs that took me on a roller coaster of emotions in the best sort of way.  I didn't cry, but I did find myself yelling (out loud!) at a few characters decisions.  This book is what I want to remember about being in love for the first time, when everything is new and so visceral.

My Life Next Door is a stand out contemporary debut novel, with characters (main and supporting) I just couldn't get enough of.  The chemistry between Sam and Jase never feels forced and the unexpected comic relief offsets some of the more serious themes in the book.  I will definitely be checking out Huntley Fitzpatrick's next work and highly recommend My Life Next Door.

Rating: 4

Memorable Quotes
"The Garretts were my bedtime story, long before I ever thought I'd be part of the story myself."

"They say you never know what you would do in a hypothetical situation.  We'd all like to think we'd be one of the people who gave up their lifejackets and waved a stoic good-bye from the slanting deck of the titanic, someone who jumped in front of a bullet for a stranger, or turned and raced back up the stairs of one of the towers, in search of someone who needed help rather than our own security.  But you just don't know for sure if, when things fall apart, you'll think safety first, or if safety will be the last thing on your mind."

"Our house contains all that's high-end and high-tech and shiny clean.  And three people who would rather be somewhere else."

No comments:

Post a Comment