Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Waiting on Wesnesday: Pantomime

"Waiting On Wednesday" is a weekly event, originally started by Jill at Breaking the Spine, which highlights upcoming book releases everyone is waiting on.

by Laura Lam
Publication date: February 5, 2013



Goodreads Summary
R. H. Ragona’s Circus of Magic is the greatest circus of Ellada. Nestled among the glowing blue Penglass—remnants of a mysterious civilisation long gone—are wonders beyond the wildest imagination. It’s a place where anything seems possible, where if you close your eyes you can believe that the magic and knowledge of the vanished Chimaera is still there. It’s a place where anyone can hide.

Iphigenia Laurus, or Gene, the daughter of a noble family, is uncomfortable in corsets and crinoline, and prefers climbing trees to debutante balls. Micah Grey, a runaway living on the streets, joins the circus as an aerialist’s apprentice and soon becomes the circus’s rising star.

But Gene and Micah have balancing acts of their own to perform, and a secret in their blood that could unlock the mysteries of Ellada.

Anyone who reads YA knows that the circus is hot right now.  The sights, smells and a tastes of a circus atmosphere offer up a world of possibilities for authors to entice readers.  Circus and magic go hand in hand for me, so this was an easy pick.

The summary of Pantomime doesn't give away much - Who is hiding and what happened to the mysterious civilization?  I'm really wanting to learn more about "the glowing blue Penglass".   My only worry is with the forbidden love aspect for Gene and Micah.  That's a tough sell for readers who see this frequented in YA books.  Lastly, I'm really hoping Pantomime doesn't cling to the coattails of the widely popular The Night Circus and offers it's own unique vision.

4 comments:

  1. I've seen this book recommended a couple of times today. Looks like an interesting pick.

    Check out my WoW pick here.

    New follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this one around quite a bit lately! I'm not a fan of the cover they chose, some of the previous versions were better imo. Thanks for sharing! ^.^ If you would like to check out my Waiting On Wednesday you can do so here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Biochemguy ~ I'm not impressed by cover either. Hopefully the book is better than it's cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How have I not heard of this?! Definitely adding it to my wish list, it looks awesome! Great choice :)

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete